Practice Manager Job Responsibilities
A medical practice manager oversees the operations of a medical facility. This can include a very broad range of tasks, depending on the specific type of facility. Awareness of medical law and regulations, technology and unique clinical operations and language are all needed to manage a healthcare facility.
- Scheduling of patients
- Maintaining of patient records, including knowledge of digital management system
- Ensure billing and insurance systems are maintained
- Manage staff
- Responsible for employee evaluations, with physician input1
These tasks may vary depending on the company or type of facility that you work for, examples include:
Care Resource in Miami, FL: you will assist in the development, writing and submission of grants2
Broadmoor Valley Pediatrics in Colorado Springs, CO: you will assess patient relations and asset and liability management3
Vein Clinics of America in Skokie, IL: you will be comfortable in a customer-facing capacity that involves influencing a sale4
Becoming a Practice Manager
The medical practice manager usually must have at least an associate's degree in their field, business or a related field. Larger practices may require a bachelor’s degree. Three to five years of work experience in medical practices is usually required, and employers often require the manager to have medical practice office certifications. The practice manager must possess excellent organizational skills, as well as strong verbal and written communications skills.1
Glassdoor found that the average practice manager salary is $66,0405 while PayScale found that the average salary for a medical practice manager is $56,365 per year. Many practice managers go on to be practice administrators, operations directors or CEOs.1 Grouped with other health management positions, the job outlook from 2014-2024 is expected to grow much faster than average, at a rate of 17%.6 The career track to move into high paying executive level positions, as well as the career growth offered by management positions in this industry, prove promising for those considering practice manager positions.
If you are interested in a career as a practice manager, consider pursuing a degree in this field.
- What am I worth? (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Medical_Practice_Manager/Salary
- Care Resouce. (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://jobview.monster.com/v2/job/View?JobID=169264706
- Medical Practice Manager - Broadmoor Valley Pediatrics - Mountain View Medical Group | Jobs.com. (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://job-openings.monster.com/monster/2cba3541-625f-4017-a080-06ecef55d83e?mescoid=1100047001001
- Practice Manager - Medical Office - Vein Clinics of America | Jobs.com. (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://job-openings.monster.com/monster/b80cde59-cbe3-42d9-a0f3-47de2b18644a?mescoid=1100047001001
- Salary: Practice Manager. (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/practice-manager-salary-SRCH_KO0,16.htm
- (n.d.). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm